Monday, November 21, 2005

Lifetime Of Books Burns

While I hate to see books burned for censorship purposes, it pains me even more to hear of this 60-something man living in a nursing home, who watched his lifetime collection of books burn in his rented storage unit behind the home. I, too, would be caught speechless to find my book collection burned to cinders -- and I've only been compiling mine for a decade or two. Even more horribly, the officials fear foul play in the destruction. Who would do such a horrible thing?

Books are like pets or children: having them around is the most meaningful thing in many peoples' lives. Think about it: the gentleman, at some point, had to choose what he was bringing to the nursing home, and what was going to be thrown away. His book collection made the cut, only to be destroyed now. It brings a tear to my eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home