Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Bookshelf Staircase

Making more room in a loft apartment always means being creative with space -- such as this staircase bookshelf:


Those wider steps appear to be designed as seats, if on your way to bed you're suddenly caught off-guard by a book's spine and have to stop for a bit of reading mid-stride. My problem: I tend to drag the tip of my shoe against the riser (hence the worn toes on my shoes) which will, on this staircase, keep me kicking the books as I walk.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger William Smith said...

Cool. I wonder why the widths are staggered on each alternating step though? If you didn't start off on the correct foot you would totally kill yourself (and god help you in the dark). Also the skylight would fade the bookspines on the sidewalls.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That is a great idea! I could see myself implementing this design.

Thanks for the comment on my blog, by the way. I checked out yours and found a lot of fun posts! If I foray into the thrift store-blog realm, I will definitely link to your sites. I also see you are a fellow Fargoan!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is pretty sweet. I want one! I've always said I want a library when I get a house of my own. Only problem is, if I had a "library" like this, I don't think I'd ever make it up the stairs; I'd always be stopping along the way to read books/figure out the next book I want to read.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home